Role: Gather, research and integrate information for use in technical and business documentation. Author and compile technical and business documents for internal and external use. Prepare illustrations, diagrams and charts in support of business presentations. Assist with layout work as well as capture and document process workflows for inclusion into technical and business documentation. Develop and conduct training sessions with relevant technical users with the documents created.
- Interview and work collaboratively with internal subject matter experts to write technical and business documentation supporting products, equipment and services
- Read and interpret engineering blueprints and subcontractor data to enable succinct writing of technical data.
- Organize material and complete writing assignments according to specifications regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style and terminology of client requirements for technical and business documents. Write manuals, user guides and other documents to explain the installation, assembly, functionality and ongoing operations/ troubleshooting of products, equipment or services.
- Partner with internal departments to become familiar with product technologies and methods in order to produce technical and business documents.
- Collaborate professionally with tact and diplomacy with Information Technology staff to collect and interpret technical information. Edit and translate materials where applicable and review documentation created by other IT staff to create unified and consistent support documents.
- Write and publish technical bulletins, in accordance with instructions from IT management.
- Review current materials and recommend revisions or changes in scope, format, content and methods of delivery.
- Edit, standardize and make changes to materials prepared by other writers or external consultants.
- Lay out material for internal publication.
- Create or select photographs, drawings, sketches, diagrams and charts to be included in technical manuals and business documentation.
- Maintain records and files of work and revisions, both print and electronic.
- Ensure all technical and business documentation adheres to the company’s communications and graphic standards, including the use of logos, trademarks and copyrighted materials.
- Develop training materials and conduct training sessions with relevant technical staff using the technical documents created.
- Comply with the company’s environmental, health & safety, recycling, sustainability efforts and quality assurance policies and standards, as well as all governing legislative requirements.
- Perform any other duties as required.
- Minimum college degree with a major in Computer Science, Engineering or related program
- Minimum three to five years of experience working as a Technical / Document Writer in a technical and business environment
- Demonstrated editing, writing and business skills with a proven ability to communicate complex technical data into simple language
- Excellent interpersonal skills, professional and diplomatic to interface with all levels of staff
- Customer driven, in supporting both internal and external customers
- Self-starter; Receptive to learning and training on new processes and procedures
- Receptive to learning and flexible to adapting to the changing business requirements.
- Sense of urgency, Time Management, Ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent business communication and project management skills
- Excellent knowledge in the use of a variety of software applications
- Experience in assisting with business proposals, RFPs and business communications, an asset.
- Ability to conduct training sessions with technical staff using the materials created
- Service Now experience to create, maintain, and organize the knowledge base and technical documents is a plus
Application - Technical Writer - Markham, ON
"*" indicates required fields